Skip to main content

鯉口 Koiguchi: Cutting the Carp's Mouth in a Sword Draw

Michael's Broken 鞘 Saya, photo by Lisa Peters
Here is an excerpt from my training notes I send every week to subscribers. I thought more people should read about this, so >subscribe here< or keep reading:

Tonight my class focus was 鯉口の切り方 Koiguchi no kirikata. This is "cutting the carp's mouth," or freeing your sword from the "mouth" of the saya. There are many great techniques to do this. But sadly, most sword schools obsess on only one or two.

Tonight I showed 8 methods. This opens the door for infinite secrets.

I used the kata 撥倒 Hatto to give us focus as we practice this iai. First the opponent cuts while my sword is still sheathed. Here I am at an immediate disadvantage. To begin to address this we need the fundamentals of iai.

The first two I shared were 外切り sotogiri and 内切り uchigiri. These are very common. You probably have already studied these. The first has the thumb on the tsuba as you push forward the break the seal. The second has the thumb push from behind the tsuba.

The main advantage of uchigiri is that it is more concealed.

Next we looked at 控切りhikaegiri. In this version you are holding your sword back. Protecting even your opponent from being cut. This done with both the index finger and the thumb. In the version I showed, just because you are protecting the opponent from being cut, doesn't mean you protect him from pain or being defeated. But his life is spared today.

My sword had other ideas though. It even split my saya in two trying to get out!

The next secret I showed was like holding onto the wing of a bird to hold it back from flight. In this method that I won't detail here, you hold the flight of the tip just long enough for target acquisition. Then you let it fly like an arrow.

Now I switched tactics and used the index finger both as a safety to hold the sword, but also to break the seal of the habaki. I learned this one straight from Hatsumi Sensei and I like the hidden factor.

Another one that is useful when your grip is not ready, is 鍔元ギリギリ tsubamoto girigiri. I showed this without even having the sword in my belt. You might just be standing there holding it when you are attacked. Or maybe you just grab it off the floor or table. Whatever the situation, just by squeezing the koiguchi, the flex of your hand against the tsuba releases the habaki.

Then I fought using my saya and my sword as they both slice through the kukan.

Next I did some unarmed taijutsu to expose some of the principles of the kata 撥倒 Hatto that we were using as our foundation. If you can't get it without a weapon, with a sword your errors are magnified.

Returning to the sword, I went into some advanced methods of drawing that I learned from Hatsumi Sensei. They are things I doubt you will see from most sword teachers. They are unorthodox and even potentially hazardous to the user! For this reason I won't share them in print.

I did make a video of tonight's instruction, so if you want to be first to know when it comes out, sign up to my mailing list >subscribe here<.

In one class Hatsumi Sensei said,
"This is a secret of ninja drawing. One part of koppojutsu is having the knack for drawing. Anyone can grab a sword handle and pull it. But you have to bring it out like it's a mist."
This advice will transform your sword draw. But it is also a transcendent insight into our ninja weapon strategy.

That one idea was worth going to class that night. Or, if you are already getting my training notes, doesn't that one tip make you glad you subscribed?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japan Report One 令和5年

Every Bujinkan trip I make to Japan feels like a gift. And I always share that with you all in my Japan reports. This trip, I decided to video a lot. Like every day. So there will be quite a few of these. The only issue is that it takes me time to edit all of this video, so these Japan reports may spread out into next year. The first video is here:  Japan Report One 令和5年 The first day of any Bujinkan trip to Japan starts with a marathon. 20 hours of travel by Plane train, and automobile. Also, a lot of walking with a heavy backpack up and down stairs, through airports and train stations, and of course to the Honbu Dojo! Because I’m crazy, I arrived at the airport and went straight to Noguchi Sensei’s class. The class was smallish, maybe 20 people. I was a little shaky on my feet so I slammed some milk tea to get my energy back up. I partnered with Mario From Croatia. Noguchi began with 中伝之捌型 Chūden no Sabaki Gata from 高木揚心流 Takagi Yoshin Ryū. He put a lot of focus into what the opposit

Bujinkan Daikomyosai Party and Training Themes from Japan

What are the current Bujinkan Themes? For my second week of Japan training, I begin with a visit to 上野東照宮 Ueno Tōshōgū. This shrine was built in 1627, and enshrines Tokugawa Ieyasu. I have visited many times, but they did an extensive remodel a few years ago. This was my first time going beyond the 唐門 Karamon and into the grounds. The entire 本殿 Honden is covered in gold leaf and looks spectacular with the gingko leaves fluttering down around me. Michael Glenn at 上野東照宮 Ueno Tōshōgū Later that night, I arrived a bit early for Nagase Sensei’s class. He had moved the class time back 45 minutes so I took the opportunity to review my notes from the prior class. He has been working with 十方折衝 juppō sesshō and the directions for 天地人 Tenchijin and the sanshin within it. He described many aspects of Tenchijin. He would control his opponent at three points, high, middle, and low. He told us the Ten direction is 天照大御神 Amaterasu ōmikami. The Chi direction is 国常立尊 Kunitokotachi no mi

Bujinkan 鎖分銅 Kusarifundō: Truth and Falsehood

Buki-mobile at 鎌倉・山海堂商店, photo by Michael Glenn Do you know the deepest levels of 虚実 kyojitsu lead down the path of 捨て身 sutemi? In a recent class I shared a dimension of kyojitsu that I’ve only ever heard expressed from Hatsumi Sensei. But is anyone willing to take this path? During my class demo, I shot the weight of the 鎖分銅 kusarifundō out into the face of my opponent. A surprise 中振 nakafuri strike, but my use of it was for kyojitsu. The sound of the chain and the weight act as 目潰し metsubushi and caught the opponent’s attention. These sensations hid my next move. It isn’t very safe to use a real kusarifundō in class. Unless your training partner likes dental work or a busted eyebrow, it is safer to use a short cord to practice. But then I noticed my students were missing a key aspect of this type of kyojitsu. Most people think of kyojitsu as being a feint or fake. You mislead and distract the opponent from your real strategy. Many students stop there by using a fake-out. But, for kyo